Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Catholic Podcasts

Radio Free Strawberry
Photo courtest of user cogdogblog on Flickr.
 By Danielle Hetzel

Last time I wrote, I mentioned listening to Catholic podcasts.  This is a great way to participate in the Year of Faith and broaden your knowledge of the Catholic Church.  It also helps that it is something I can do without necessarily adding time to my daily routine.  I listen to these while I commute to and from work, while I work out, and even sometimes while I do laundry.

I am no expert on Catholic podcasts.  In fact, when I wanted to start listening to one, I did I search online to find some resources.  The page that helped me the most was the About.com listing of the top five Catholic podcasts.  I didn't listen to each of them, but just read the descriptions and picked which one I wanted to try.  I figured that if it wasn't speaking to me I could always switch to another one.  I chose Discerning Hearts because of their breadth of topics and because it just seemed right.

I have to admit, it can be a little overwhelming at times.  If you don't have as long of a commute, you may want to choose something with a bit less content.  They update multiple times a day and have some long discussions.  They also do multiple segments - Discerning the Will of God, The United States Catholic Catechism for Adults, etc.  You could choose a few that you like and not listen to the others.

I recommend that you start where you need to be in your faith journey and life.  This works for me right now.  If I ever decide to stay home instead of working, I may need to change since I won't have that commute time.  Don't feel obligated if one isn't working for you.  You can always try to do another.

Please let me know if you have good experiences with any Catholic podcasts or ways to listen to these podcasts.

God Bless!

Danielle is a parishioner at Blessed Sacrament who previously wrote on her son's Baptism for the blog and about prayer.

No comments: